California Administrative Code, Title 5, Section 302 states:
“A pupil who goes to school without proper attention having been given to personal cleanliness or neatness of dress, may be sent home to be properly prepared for school, or shall be required to prepare himself for the school room before entering.”
Carlsbad High School is an environment for learning and business. Student dress and appearance should reflect this image. School dress code applies to all school activities, including field trips and dances.
- Attire must be neat, clean and fit properly.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- Attire which distracts from the educational goals of the school including, but not limited to; tops that expose the midriff area, crop tops, halter tops, strapless tops, backless tops, bandeaus, tube tops, off the shoulder tops, underwear worn as outer wear and bikini wear is not permitted.The tops worn by both males and females should adequately cover the chest area and not expose the chest, cleavage, or midriff area. Sheer tops do not constitute adequate coverage.
- Shorts and skirts must be of appropriate length and provide adequate coverage when student is in both standing and sitting positions. Shorts and skirts must reach the students finger tips when shoulders and arms are relaxed.
- Pants must stay up to your waist.Sagging is not allowed.
- Attire and accessories cannot advertise, promote, or glamorize any of the following: drugs, alcohol, tobacco products, violence, weapons, or display inappropriate or sexually suggestive language or symbols.
- Attire, which includes words, phrases, or pictures that are derogatory regarding ethnic background, national origin, religious belief, gender, gender orientation, or disability, is not permitted.
- Attire, articles of clothing, or adornments determined by CHS administration and/or the Carlsbad Police Department to identify affiliation to any organization, group, or gang associated with or reputed to be involved in criminal activity are not permitted.
- Jewelry, wallet, and accessories that, in the opinion of the staff, attract undue attention or could pose a threat to the safety of others are not permitted.
In an effort to maintain the belief that education is our primary purpose, the staff will address new fads that occur during the school year. The Administration always reserves the right to determine what is appropriate or inappropriate.
Consequences for dress code violations:
1st Offense: Change clothes.
2nd Offense: Change clothes, call parent, and detention.
3rd Offense: Change clothes, call parent, detention and referral for defiance.
4th Offense: Progressive discipline consequences.